A walking tour aiming on the abundant medieval Jewish heritage to be found in the city’s El Call, strolling across both the Call Major & Call Menor. See the synagogue Slomó ben Adret, that claims to be among the oldest ones in Europe.
A tour focusing on the medieval Jewish heritage in the area named El Call, strolling across both the Call Major & Call Menor. Visit the Slomó ben Adret Synagogue -which claims to be among the oldest in Europe- the Centre d’Interpretació del Call and some other meaningful remains of the Jewish heritage in a town that was once a stronghold for the Jewish faith and culture (Kabbalah high school, Disputation of Barcelona, Haggadot).
The term Call (“kaail”) was widely used in medieval Catalonia to name the city area where the Jews used to live. The 6 acres Call quarter had no closing gates, as opposed to a Ghetto. The Lieutenant’s Palace, partly built with stone material taken from the medieval Jewish cemetery located on Montjuïc, still shows many visible inscriptions in Hebrew. In the Major Royal Palace of the Crown of Aragon took place in 1263 the Jewish-Christian debate known as Disputation of Barcelona between Catalan Rabbi Nachmanides and a convert friar from Provence. The palace was transformed by the Catholic Kings into the official site of the newly imposed Spanish Inquisition, ruled by the renowned fundamentalist Dominican monks.
The Palau de la Generalitat -the Catalan Government’s palace- was started after the two best Gothic buildings in el Call were “purchased” in 1383 and linked together. Later, some other renaissance enlargements followed the demolition of adjacent former Jewish dwellings. A restored market hall, Santa Caterina, was once the Dominican monks’ convent, burnt down by rioting folks a decade and a half after the Spanish Inquisition had been abolished in 1820.